From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How do I determine the processor type?
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 13:50:45
1 On 2012-09-15, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2012-09-15, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> From my understanding, someone correct me if I am off here, AMD sort of
5 >> beat Intel to the 64 bit thing.
8 > After years and years of miserable sales, Intel finally gave up
9 > flogging the Itanium pocessor family and abandoned the IA64
10 > architecture in 2011.
11
12 Oops, after some research on Wikipedia, it looks like that last bit is
13 wrong. Intel still appears to be making Itanium parts (but nobody
14 but HP cares).
15
16 Itanium is no longer supported by Microsoft, RedHat, Oracle, SAP, and
17 various other SW vendors (including Intel).
18
19 Most of the old Itanium server vendors (e.g. IBM, SGI, Dell) have also
20 abandonded Itanium. It seems HP is still sticking with it and is, in
21 fact, has paid Intel over half a billion USD to keep it alive -- small
22 wonder HP is circling the drain.