From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How do I determine the processor type?
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 13:34:45
1 On 2012-09-15, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > From my understanding, someone correct me if I am off here, AMD sort of
4 > beat Intel to the 64 bit thing.
5
6 Not really. Intel came out with the IA64 architecture in 2001 in the
7 Itanium processor. The IA64 architecture was much more RISC-like than
8 the IA32 (x86) architecture. More importantly, it wasn't good at
9 running old IA32 software. It could emulate the IA32 instruction set,
10 but the emulation mode produced very slow performance. Because of
11 price and the poor backwards compatiblity it wasn't very popular on
12 the desktop (though it was used in some high-end servers and cluster
13 machines).
14
15 A couple of years later, AMD came out with the AMD64 (x86-64)
16 architecture in the Opteron processor. It _was_ backwards compatible
17 with the IA32 and was quite popular -- though initially it was mainly
18 used in IA32 mode (I still run all my AMD64 machines in IA32 mode
19 because I'm too lazy to change over when there's little benefit).
20
21 Once the Opteron family was widely adopted, and it became obvious that
22 the 64-bit mode of AMD64 processors was going to be vastly more
23 popular than the IA64 architecture, Intel jumped on board in 2004 with
24 the Xeon processor which implemented the AMD64 architecture.
25
26 After years and years of miserable sales, Intel finally gave up
27 flogging the Itanium pocessor family and abandoned the IA64
28 architecture in 2011.
31 Grant