From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Freeing up disk space problem!!
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 01:06:50
1 Neil Bothwick writes:
2
3 > On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 00:25:00 +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 >
5 > > > > Don't reduce it to 0, the lower this value is, the more
6 > > > > fragmentation you will get.
7 > > >
8 > > > Why is that? I would have expected more usable space to reduce the
9 > > > need for fragmentation. I routinely use 0 on non-system
10 > > > filesystems.
11 > >
12 > > I read this often, and to me it seems to make sense. When a file
13 > > system is nearly full, writing a last big file will make the file
14 > > being cluttered along all those tiny places where some free space is
15 > > still left. And this probably already happens to some extent before
16 > > the filesystem is completely full.
17 >
18 > But if you set m > 0, the filesystem will become full sooner, so
19 > fragmentation will begin sooner (for non-root processes).
20
21 Uh, really? I wouldn't think so. With m > 0, there is much space left, in
22 large contiguous chunks, even though the user cannot use it all. But there
23 should be no difference between writing files in terms of fragmentation.
24 The reserved stuff acts just like a quota, at least that's what I always
25 thought.
26
27 Wonko