From: Farhan Ahmed <farhanahmed06@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] .wmv files
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 11:13:23
1 WillieDaPimp wrote:
2 > There are alot of web pages that I've tried to watch video clips on but i can't watch them due to the
3 > files being in .wmv format. Is there a plugin that I can emerge to view these files or maybe even a app
4 > that converts .wmv to some other linux friendly video file??
7 Check out the following HOW-TO for playing video's from browsers (like in
8 Windows)
9
10 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_mplayerplug-in
11
12 For converting from .wmv to other formats I recommend mencoder (it comes
13 with MPlayer).. Make sure you compile MPlayer with win32codecs USE
14 flag.. Here's an example to convert movie.wmv to movie.avi (DivX) :
15
16 mencoder movie.wmv -o movie.avi -ovc lavc -oac lavc
17
18 For more info about using mencoder read :
19
20 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mencoder_Introduction_Guide
21
22 Remember mencoder can convert any file playable through MPlayer to any
23 other format recognized by MPlayer.. There are lots of options which you
24 can read by referring to 'man mencoder'..
25
26 Hope this helps,
27 Farhan Ahmed
30 Place : Bangalore, Karnataka, India
31 GPG Key : 8BE90E98
32 WengoPhone ID : farhanahmed
33 IRC Nick : farhanahmed / farhanahmed06 (irc.freenode.net)