From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to stop X
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 21:17:50
1 On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Kevin O'Gorman<kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm having trouble configuring X, and to save time I'd like to be able
3 > to shut it down, edit some stuff, and start it up again.
4 >
5 > What is the gentoo way to do that?
6
7 It depends on how you started X in the first place. If you did a
8 "startx" (or similar), logging out should be all you need to do to get
9 out of X. If you use a login manager, XDM/GDM/KDM then it'll restart
10 itself so you'll need to switch to a VT (ctrl-alt-F1) and then sudo
11 /etc/init.d/xdm stop to shut down XDM (and therefore X). You can then
12 rmmod your video drivers or do whatever changes you want to do. sudo
13 /etc/init.d/xdm start to bring it back up.