From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to stop X
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 22:21:46
1 On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Paul
2 Hartman<paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Kevin O'Gorman<kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I'm having trouble configuring X, and to save time I'd like to be able
5 >> to shut it down, edit some stuff, and start it up again.
6 >>
7 >> What is the gentoo way to do that?
8 >
9 > It depends on how you started X in the first place. If you did a
10 > "startx" (or similar), logging out should be all you need to do to get
11 > out of X. If you use a login manager, XDM/GDM/KDM then it'll restart
12 > itself so you'll need to switch to a VT (ctrl-alt-F1) and then sudo
13 > /etc/init.d/xdm stop to shut down XDM (and therefore X). You can then
14 > rmmod your video drivers or do whatever changes you want to do. sudo
15 > /etc/init.d/xdm start to bring it back up.
19 Several of you suggested "/etc/init.d/xdm start" or so to get it
20 (re)started. It doesn't work. Instead the start-stop daemon
21 complains of not being able to stat "/usr/bin/xdm" which doesn't
22 exist. And no I didn't mispell it. I've never seen this before an
23 I'm baffled.
24
25 ++ kevin
28 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD