From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to stop X
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 22:31:37
1 On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Kevin O'Gorman<kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Paul
3 > Hartman<paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Kevin O'Gorman<kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> I'm having trouble configuring X, and to save time I'd like to be able
6 >>> to shut it down, edit some stuff, and start it up again.
7 >>>
8 >>> What is the gentoo way to do that?
9 >>
10 >> It depends on how you started X in the first place. If you did a
11 >> "startx" (or similar), logging out should be all you need to do to get
12 >> out of X. If you use a login manager, XDM/GDM/KDM then it'll restart
13 >> itself so you'll need to switch to a VT (ctrl-alt-F1) and then sudo
14 >> /etc/init.d/xdm stop to shut down XDM (and therefore X). You can then
15 >> rmmod your video drivers or do whatever changes you want to do. sudo
16 >> /etc/init.d/xdm start to bring it back up.
20 > Several of you suggested "/etc/init.d/xdm start" or so to get it
21 > (re)started. It doesn't work. Instead the start-stop daemon
22 > complains of not being able to stat "/usr/bin/xdm" which doesn't
23 > exist. And no I didn't mispell it. I've never seen this before an
24 > I'm baffled.
25
26 Hi,
27
28 You haven't told us how you start X, which I think would make it
29 easier to determine how to stop it. Maybe you don't use XDM at all, in
30 which case the above suggestion wouldn't have any relevance to your
31 situation.