From: Alessio Ababilov <ilovegnulinux@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 14:05:58
1 "/usr merge" is the process of making /bin, /sbin, and /lib to be symlinks
2 to corresponding directories in /usr. It is done in Fedora and several
3 other distros now, and also in Solaris 15 years ago.
4 Benefits from /usr merge are described here:
5 http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/
6 Technical details are here:
7 http://aababilov.wordpress.com/2013/07/17/usr-merge-in-gentoo/
8
9 In few words, the script is run once to merge /usr on a running system.
10 Also, the script is installed in post_src_install hook to perform /usr
11 merge during package updates or installations.
12
13 2013/8/13 东方巽雷 <dongfangxunlei@×××××.com>
14
15 > more information?
18 > 2013/8/13 Alessio Ababilov <ilovegnulinux@×××××.com>
19 >
20 >> Hi!
21 >>
22 >> I wrote a script that allows /usr merge in Gentoo without changes to
23 >> ebuilds.
24 >>
25 >> I described it in an article
26 >> http://aababilov.wordpress.com/2013/07/17/usr-merge-in-gentoo/
27 >>
28 >> Are there any volunteers to test it? I use it on my computers for two
29 >> months.
30 >>
31 >> Alessio Ababilov
32 >> Senior Software Engineer