From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:24:27
1 On 2013-08-13 16:05, Alessio Ababilov wrote:
2 > "/usr merge" is the process of making /bin, /sbin, and /lib to be symlinks
3 > to corresponding directories in /usr. It is done in Fedora and several
4 > other distros now, and also in Solaris 15 years ago.
5 > Benefits from /usr merge are described here:
6 > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/
7 > Technical details are here:
8 > http://aababilov.wordpress.com/2013/07/17/usr-merge-in-gentoo/
9 >
10 > In few words, the script is run once to merge /usr on a running system.
11 > Also, the script is installed in post_src_install hook to perform /usr
12 > merge during package updates or installations.
13
14 So, how would this work for me who have /usr on a separate harddrive?
15 And what would be the benefit? To me, mentioning Fedora, makes the alarm
16 bells go off...
17
18 Best regards
19