From: Michel Catudal <mcatudal@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advantages or disadvantages of use package.use as directory
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 17:26:49
1 Le 2015-08-30 12:41, wraeth a écrit :
2 >> I wonder if there is some advantage to leaving things as my
3 >> installation has created them or should I revert to the old way
4 >> where package.use is file... not a directory.
5 > There's no specific advantage to using separate files within a
6 > directory to using a single monolithic file other than manageability
7 > and some utilities, as far as I'm aware.
8 >
9 I think that having separate directories makes things much easier to manage when your system divert in major ways from the official ones.
10
11 For example in my ARM (and soon MIPS on the Creator) linux I want the mate desktop but not all packages have been tested and approved so I need a lot of entries to get them to compile. I do not want an entirely unstable system so I start with the stable
12 one and customize, only using package that I consider stable enough for my use. Having multiple files makes my life easier.
13
14 Even if you do not need this kind of stuff it can still be usefull, why cram everything in one file!
15
16 Michel
19 For Linux Software visit
20 http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal