From: wraeth <wraeth@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advantages or disadvantages of use package.use as directory
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 16:41:24
1 I'd already typed up this response when I saw the one from Alan come
2 in; figured I'd send it anyway - two responses that essentially agree
3 are better than one, right?
4
5 On 08/31/2015 02:15 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
6 > I see there have been a change in how we list our specific use
7 > flags.
8 >
9 > I'm seeing /etc/portage/package.use/ pkg1 pkg2 ... etc rather than
10 > package.use as a file that contains the specific pkgs and use
11 > flags.
12
13 I'm not certain when it was introduced, but this has been around for a
14 few years now.
15
16 > I wonder if there is some advantage to leaving things as my
17 > installation has created them or should I revert to the old way
18 > where package.use is file... not a directory.
19
20 There's no specific advantage to using separate files within a
21 directory to using a single monolithic file other than manageability
22 and some utilities, as far as I'm aware.
23
24 > If directory is better then how would I list USE flags for
25 > emacs-vcs? <snip> So what is the correct format?
26
27 Create a file within the package.use directory, named whatever seems
28 reasonable to you, and put the contents:
29
30 app-editors/emacs-vcs Xaw3d athena gnutls imagemagick toolkit-scroll-bars
31
32 Enter a single package atom followed by any use flag changes - flag
33 name to enable, minus flag name to disable. In case the above example
34 wrapped, keep the package atom and the flags on a single line.
35
36 As far as I'm aware, you can't nest files within subdirectories of
37 package.use, and the man page doesn't mention version ranges - it's
38 example is an exact atom (=) and wildcards (see portage(5) man page).
41 wraeth <wraeth@×××××××××.au>
42 GnuPG Key: B2D9F759