From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Quoting styles
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 23:50:25
1 Holly Bostick wrote:
2
3 >Dale schreef:
6 > Speaking of settings, mail can be set to be sent as plain text by
7 >
8 >default in Thunderbird/Mozilla Mail as follows (the settings given are
9 >for Thunderbird, but the Mozmail settings are very nearby in terms of
10 >finding them, if not exactly the same):
11 >
12 >To set all outgoing mail to be composed as plain-text:
13 >
14 >Acount Preferences=>Composition and Addressing under the relevant
15 >account=>uncheck "Compose messages using HTML format"
16 >
17 >Right underneath that, there is a checkbox dealing with quoting:
18 >
19 >If "When I respond, quote the original mail in my reply" is checked, use
20 >the drop-down menu below it to change "Start my reply above the quoted
21 >text" (which is default only because the word "above" comes
22 >alphabetically before the word "below", it's not a judgement of
23 >preference or usefulness) to either "Start my reply below the quoted
24 >text", or "Select the quoted text" (if you want to trim first).
25 >
26 >Or uncheck the box entirely and quote nothing (though that's not a good
27 >idea on this list, really).
28 >
29 >To set mail to this list only as plain-text, while leaving all others as
30 >whatever you want:
31 >
32 >Preferences (not Account Oppions, regular Preferences)=> Composition;
33 >under HTML and Send Options; Text Composition behaviour (not exact; I'm
34 >translating from Dutch, as that's what my desktop is in, and my Dutch is
35 >not perfect, which is why my desktop is in it :-) ), click the
36 >"Advanced" button and go to the "Plain Text domains" tab. On this tab,
37 >click the "Add" button, then in the field that comes up, enter
38 >
39 >lists.gentoo.org
40 >
41 >and hit OK.
42 >
43 >This marks all mail going to this domain (which covers all our mailing
44 >lists) as only being able to receive plain-text mail. So no matter what
45 >you compose it in, Mozilla Mail/Thunderbired will convert it to plain
46 >text when sending (because you told it that that's the only format the
47 >domain will accept , which is kinda true-- most mailing lists will
48 >reject HTML mail outright, this one won't, but this ridiculously long
49 >argument should be proof enough that the list doesn't like it).
50 >
51 >You can, of course, add any domains of other mailing lists you might be
52 >on as well.
53 >
54 >Hope this is helpful to at least some of those floundering through this
55 >thread; learn to use your programs, people, is all I can say.
56 >
57 >Holly
60 Well I have to have HTML because I use email for a LOT more than just
61 this list. I can't change the whole world just for one list. Sorry. I
62 do have it set up to send both though so it should be compatable with
63 either.
64
65 Later
66