From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd upower
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 10:37:17
1 On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 02:34:49 -0400
2 Greg Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 06/04/2014 11:11 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 > It is a discussion about technological things, yes, but the art of
6 > dealing with other people *is* politics [1].
7
8 Politics are also about dealing with power, not alone people; it is
9 possible to give a robot a lot of power, that doesn't imply that the
10 creator or buyer of that robot has power. The robot will have its own
11 will; that will isn't necessarily depending on what people tell the
12 robot to do, but also on what the robot will percept from nature. This
13 then all boils down to the nature's will; there may be a person, robot
14 or server with a lot of power, but one day the power of nature decides.
15
16 > Systemd *may* well be technologically superior in terms of having a
17 > better method of doing things. (It certainly makes adding items to the
18 > mix easier than re-doing all the numbering in SysVinit.)
19 >
20 > Unfortunately, the advocates and implementers made some major
21 > political choices when they (apparently deliberately) chose to put
22 > the systemd stuff in /usr/lib instead of /lib. It was pointed out
23 > that this abrogated certain parts of the FHS, forced those who would
24 > like to adopt it to *not* being able to continue using their machines
25 > they way they wished to (I.e. they had to choose between several
26 > potentially major changes to do so -- don't have a separate /usr or
27 > be forced to use a kernel initrd/initramfs method in order to do so.)
28
29 This is the power of putting things in such places against the power of
30 the FHS; Gentoo uses its power to allow parts of these powers to exist,
31 as "Gentoo does not consider the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard to be an
32 authoritative standard, although much of our policy coincides with it.".
33
34 http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/filesystem
35
36 You note how it abrogates part of the power of the FHS, but you don't
37 mention its consequences and how Gentoo deals with those consequences;
38 this highlights a power, instead of how that power affects people.
39
40 So, yes, eventually politics deal with people; but it does so through
41 means of dealing with power, only looking at the power or only looking
42 at the people deceives one from the total picture. Look at both instead.
43
44 > These were not mere technical choices, but highly political/social
45 > choices. Early on, the violation of the "principle of least surprise"
46 > could have been easily fixed by simply correcting the placement of
47 > things from /usr back to / but the developers doing the work *chose*
48 > not to see it as a mistake or poor choice, and steadfastly refused to
49 > accept corrections or patches to improve the work by fixing what many
50 > saw as a mistake.
51
52 Where did we agree with the power of the "principle of least surprise"?
53
54 What kind of surprise towards the users are we talking about? Short
55 term surprise? Long term surprise? How does that affect our users?
56
57 It can be a mistake in the short term, but that doesn't make it one in
58 the long term; things work out well, it seems, where is the problem?
59
60 > That placement error was not the only social/political mistake they
61 > made either. Other suggestions and improvements were offered and were
62 > ignored or rejected in rather flammable verbiage.
63
64 This paragraph misses a reference to the mistakes and verbiage.
65
66 > As it happens, some of the parties involved work for companies that
67 > actually pay them to do work on Linux and FOSS, and have leveraged
68 > that role to the fullest.
69
70 Some people give up on money, to reach something else in their life;
71 "Hey, honey, I don't want you to move to Silicon Valley; stay with me.".
72
73 > Actually, that is not the objection. Developers do and have always
74 > done that, but often observed much more concern with a) letting folks
75 > who use their stuff know what they were doing, and b) giving a bit
76 > more lead time when introducing major changes.
77
78 The "road map" concept exists for that purpose; however, a lot of
79 developers don't use such thing or use it in some other way (TODOs,
80 bugs that capture feature requests and important changes, ...); what is
81 however a more used concept are "change logs", where these kind of
82 things are mentioned. But can users track all upstream's major changes?
83
84 > Mo, you misunderstand. TINC is/was a humorous reminder that there was
85 > NOT a real "cabal", but merely the appearance of one in the minds of
86 > those not involved in the day-to-day operations of real systems and
87 > networks. The human mind sees patterns and invents explanations when
88 > there is not enough information available. There is no reason to
89 > ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance or
90 > stupidity (willful ignorance.)
91
92 This leaves out "possibilities"; a possible explanation doesn't make it
93 a factual true explanation of the matter at hand, like how you've
94 mentioned mistakes and verbiage above.
95
96 It might be true to you, because you might have these references; it
97 could also be a possibility to you, because you think you saw such
98 pattern but can't bring it back up; ...
99
100 Now, to me it will by default be a possibility; because for it to be
101 a factual true to me, I need to be given the reference I've requested.
102
103 > In *your* opinion. I have heard some surprising folks say things in
104 > private that they would never choose to state publicly. And that
105 > covers a lot of people in over 53 years of programming.
106
107 I could've heard the opposite; who of us both will people believe?
108
109 > I *do* no misunderstand this at all. You attribute to folks (myself
110 > included) motivations or misunderstandings that you simply do not have
111 > the information or knowledge to know for certain.
112
113 Consider that similar attributions are seen from you.
114
115 > If someone sees something as a problems that you don't agree is a
116 > "problem" it may just be that your experience or expertise is
117 > different.
118 >
119 > There is a large amount of ego preservation and self-promotion
120 > involved in these arguments, and many don't have enough insight to
121 > recognize that humor and social skill are necessary to succeed.
122
123 Boring jokes and social interruptions stall[1] instead of succeed.
124
125 > It merely claims to be a meritocracy. But like several other
126 > *political* models, it boils down to an oligarchy, where those who
127 > obtain power by whatever means, whether consciously or unconsciously,
128 > do what they must to preserve it.
129 >
130 > And the early days of Usenet was deliberately modeled in a
131 > pseudo-democratic manner. An opinion poll was set up in order to gain
132 > some idea about the potential and perceived use for a topic area. If
133 > one wanted a topic group established on a widespread basis one needed
134 > a fair bit of social skill and perception in order to do so.
135
136 Nothing holds you from starting a poll on a poll site and do that
137 today; you'll however note that such poll, either now or back in the
138 days, doesn't force people to do things.
139
140 Power's will goes hand in hand with people's will.
141
142 > Those who has the gold makes the rules?
143
144 In Belgium we say "Klant is koning",
145 which translates to "The customer is the king";
146 you might have a lot of money, that doesn't mean you can set up
147 whichever rule you want and expect that behavior to be blindly followed.
148
149 No, customers will just move on to the next company; regardless of the
150 gold a company has. The same goes with people in politics, you might
151 have all the gold to advertise yourself; but that doesn't mean you get a
152 majority of votes and a political reformation in your favor.
153
154 > > So if you want to change the rules, start writing some code.
155 >
156 > Been there. Done That. Have the T-shirt.
157 > BUT, for *some* reason, I still care.
158
159 No, really; if you want to form rules, write some code and get the
160 people you want to change the rules for to be interested in your work.
161
162 > ------------ Footnotes --------
163 >
164 > [1] Those who are politically active constantly deal with the more
165 > politically naive who complain "there isn't really any difference
166 > between <group_a> or <group_b> - they all suck." This can be compared
167 > to a technologically naive person saying "major software projects can
168 > be thrown together by a bunch of programmers just sitting around
169 > together at a coffee shop over the weekend." (Don't laugh -- a US
170 > Supreme Court Justice said almost exactly that within the past two
171 > weeks.)
172
173 [1] It really does.
176 With kind regards,
177
178 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
179 Gentoo Developer
180
181 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
182 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
183 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D