From: Greg Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd upower
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 06:35:08
1 On 06/04/2014 11:11 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 5:28 AM, Greg Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 >> To see this as only freedom for the developer is part of an attitude
5 >> shift over the years that only lessens the overall usefulness of Linux
6 >> and FOSS. It does, in fact, push quite a few folk I know away from the
7 >> Linux arena. It is, to use a political analogy, like the people who
8 >> claim there "is not any real difference" between *any* opposing
9 >> political movements -- that neglects taking into account a great deal of
10 >> technical and historical details.
11 >
12 > I have no idea what do you mean by the last paragraph. This is not a
13 > political discusion (although many would like to see it that way). It
14 > is a *technical* discusion, and therefore there is no real discusion:
15 > the general consensus is that systemd is the technological superior
16 > alternative.
17
18 It is a discussion about technological things, yes, but the art of
19 dealing with other people *is* politics [1].
20
21 Systemd *may* well be technologically superior in terms of having a
22 better method of doing things. (It certainly makes adding items to the
23 mix easier than re-doing all the numbering in SysVinit.)
24
25 Unfortunately, the advocates and implementers made some major political
26 choices when they (apparently deliberately) chose to put the systemd
27 stuff in /usr/lib instead of /lib. It was pointed out that this
28 abrogated certain parts of the FHS, forced those who would like to adopt
29 it to *not* being able to continue using their machines they way they
30 wished to (I.e. they had to choose between several potentially major
31 changes to do so -- don't have a separate /usr or be forced to use a
32 kernel initrd/initramfs method in order to do so.)
33
34 These were not mere technical choices, but highly political/social
35 choices. Early on, the violation of the "principle of least surprise"
36 could have been easily fixed by simply correcting the placement of
37 things from /usr back to / but the developers doing the work *chose* not
38 to see it as a mistake or poor choice, and steadfastly refused to accept
39 corrections or patches to improve the work by fixing what many saw as a
40 mistake.
41
42 That placement error was not the only social/political mistake they made
43 either. Other suggestions and improvements were offered and were
44 ignored or rejected in rather flammable verbiage.
45
46 As it happens, some of the parties involved work for companies that
47 actually pay them to do work on Linux and FOSS, and have leveraged that
48 role to the fullest.
49
50 >> I occasionally think about forking projects and fixing some of the
51 >> things I think are the most egregious fsck-ups in some of them, but then
52 >> I really look at what I'm doing and what I enjoy doing, and realize that
53 >> I won't get enough (emotional?) reward for giving up time in other
54 >> significant parts of my life.
55 >
56 > And that's your right, and it's fine. But let *other* developers
57 > choose whatever technologies they want to choose, and (consequently)
58 > drop support for obsolete technologies like pm-utils.
59
60 Actually, that is not the objection. Developers do and have always done
61 that, but often observed much more concern with a) letting folks who use
62 their stuff know what they were doing, and b) giving a bit more lead
63 time when introducing major changes.
66 > That's the reason for this whole thread: developers chose the
67 > technological superior alternative; saying that the reason for that is
68 > that there is cabals and conspiracies is blatant ignorance (in the
69 > best case), or spreading FUD (in the worst case).
70 >
71 >>> Or help Samuli to maintain upower-pm-utils; that would be *much* more
72 >>> helpful than spreding FUD about cabals and conspiracies.
73 >>
74 >> There is no need for me to invent Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt -- the
75 >> folks involved are doing quite well on their own.
76 >
77 > I never said you "invented" it. I say you are spreading it, and I
78 > still think that's the case.
79 >
80 >> Also, history (for
81 >> those not doomed to repeat it [1]) provides all that is required to make
82 >> calling it a "cabal" [TINC - there is no cabal![2]] There never was a
83 >> Usenet Backbone Cabal in any formal sense, but there was plenty of
84 >> semi-(un)coordinated activity -- based largely on shared ideals -- that
85 >> gave that appearance. {I was there when Usenet/Netnews was invented,
86 >> closely observing, making minor and not-so-minor contributions, and was
87 >> responsible for some of the "cabal-like" activities.}
88 >
89 > Great; so any kind of group work "semi-(un)coordinated" can be called
90 > a cabal, and it has no (inherent) negative connotation. Then the Linux
91 > Kernel developers is a Cabal; the GNOME devs is a Cabal; the KDE ones
92 > are also a Cabal; and of course the Gentoo Developers who *oppose*
93 > systemd is a Cabal, and so are the ones that *support* systemd.
94
95 Mo, you misunderstand. TINC is/was a humorous reminder that there was
96 NOT a real "cabal", but merely the appearance of one in the minds of
97 those not involved in the day-to-day operations of real systems and
98 networks. The human mind sees patterns and invents explanations when
99 there is not enough information available. There is no reason to
100 ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance or
101 stupidity (willful ignorance.)
104 >> The mere coinage of terms like "Lennertware," whether or not deserved,
105 >> show that there is a widespread awareness that some developers, in my
106 >> opinion, have over developed egos. [3]
107 >
108 > Yeah, please go and check out the "contributions" (when they exist) of
109 > the people that seriously use the term "Lennartware". Doesn't matter
110 > to what project, check out what they have contributed over the years.
111 > Go on, I wait; it would not take you long, because they usually are
112 > NOT developers, and the few that are actually developers haven't
113 > contributed really that much.
114
115 In *your* opinion. I have heard some surprising folks say things in
116 private that they would never choose to state publicly. And that covers
117 a lot of people in over 53 years of programming.
120 >> It is all so trite to say "become a developer and DO something instead
121 >> of complaining" but it is not a realistic thing to say when the
122 >> problems are getting so large and interconnected.
123 >
124 > And that's the root of your misunderstanding Greg. There are no
125 > "problems"; this "interconnection" is by design, because many
126 > developers are fed up with a Lego-like plumbing where you can
127 > interchange any basic component like a Lego block, all of them equally
128 > weak and fragile, which makes the testing matrices of all
129 > distributions a nightmare to maintain.
130
131 I *do* no misunderstand this at all. You attribute to folks (myself
132 included) motivations or misunderstandings that you simply do not have
133 the information or knowledge to know for certain. If someone sees
134 something as a problems that you don't agree is a "problem" it may just
135 be that your experience or expertise is different.
136
137 There is a large amount of ego preservation and self-promotion involved
138 in these arguments, and many don't have enough insight to recognize that
139 humor and social skill are necessary to succeed.
140
141 >> Furthermore, it
142 >> denigrates and devalues the "pseudo-democratic" processes that FOSS and
143 >> Linux have worked for years to nurture.
144 >
145 > There was *never* a "pseudo-democratic" process in FOSS or Linux.
146 > NEVER. It would be a *terrible* mistake.
147 >
148 > It has always been a *meritocratic* process. That's why we have
149 > "benevolent dictators" everywhere in the community:
150
151 It merely claims to be a meritocracy. But like several other *political*
152 models, it boils down to an oligarchy, where those who obtain power by
153 whatever means, whether consciously or unconsciously, do what they must
154 to preserve it.
155
156 And the early days of Usenet was deliberately modeled in a
157 pseudo-democratic manner. An opinion poll was set up in order to gain
158 some idea about the potential and perceived use for a topic area. If
159 one wanted a topic group established on a widespread basis one needed a
160 fair bit of social skill and perception in order to do so.
161 >
162 > THOSE WHO WRITE THE CODE, MAKE THE RULES.
163 Those who has the gold makes the rules?
164 >
165 > So if you want to change the rules, start writing some code.
166
167 Been there. Done That. Have the T-shirt.
168 BUT, for *some* reason, I still care.
169
170 ------------ Footnotes --------
171
172 [1] Those who are politically active constantly deal with the more
173 politically naive who complain "there isn't really any difference
174 between <group_a> or <group_b> - they all suck." This can be compared
175 to a technologically naive person saying "major software projects can be
176 thrown together by a bunch of programmers just sitting around together
177 at a coffee shop over the weekend." (Don't laugh -- a US Supreme Court
178 Justice said almost exactly that within the past two weeks.)
181 G.Wolfe Woodbury
182 <No clever .sig found.>