From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd upower
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 15:12:29
1 On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 5:28 AM, Greg Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 06/03/2014 10:05 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Greg Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>> Sure, systemd is a more elegant solution than the patchworks that have
7 >>> been applied several times to the original SysV concept.
8 >>
9 >> Glad to see you recognize that.
10 >>
11 >>> However, the implementors and advocates of systemd have stepped on the
12 >>> concerns and violated certain basic freedoms of many folks in their zeal
13 >>> to see their vision become predominate.
14 >>
15 >> Oh FFS. What "freedoms" have you had "violated"? The "freedom" to
16 >> mandate what other developers should write, or what packages they can
17 >> use as hard dependencies?
18 >>
19 >> You never had that "freedom". That's the developer freedom; if you
20 >> want some of that, become a developer.
21 >
22 > I was a developer for more years than I really care to remember. I
23 > still try to contribute in ways and areas that I'm not so out-of-date with.
24
25 Good for you. Now, imagine you don't only contribute, but that you
26 actually *maintain* (as in, *you* are in charge) of project X. And
27 then you see that project X is so much easier to maintain if you
28 depend on project Y. So you make project Y a hard dependency of
29 project X.
30
31 And then a bunch of people who don't really know how to maintain code,
32 start yelling at you because you made project X dependant on project
33 Y. And they *demand* of you that you should not depend on Y, but they
34 don't provide the code to do it,
35
36 Will you drop dependency on project Y, even if it makes your life as a
37 maintainer several times easier?
38
39 > Furthermore, it is a two-way street (as I see it.) The developers write
40 > things they find interesting and enjoyable to work on, and users use
41 > things that are interesting and work well. For many, seeing other folks
42 > use what they have written provides a significant measure of the
43 > enjoyment derived from the exercise.
44
45 That does not contradicts anything I have said.
46
47 > To see this as only freedom for the developer is part of an attitude
48 > shift over the years that only lessens the overall usefulness of Linux
49 > and FOSS. It does, in fact, push quite a few folk I know away from the
50 > Linux arena. It is, to use a political analogy, like the people who
51 > claim there "is not any real difference" between *any* opposing
52 > political movements -- that neglects taking into account a great deal of
53 > technical and historical details.
54
55 I have no idea what do you mean by the last paragraph. This is not a
56 political discusion (although many would like to see it that way). It
57 is a *technical* discusion, and therefore there is no real discusion:
58 the general consensus is that systemd is the technological superior
59 alternative.
60
61 > I occasionally think about forking projects and fixing some of the
62 > things I think are the most egregious fsck-ups in some of them, but then
63 > I really look at what I'm doing and what I enjoy doing, and realize that
64 > I won't get enough (emotional?) reward for giving up time in other
65 > significant parts of my life.
66
67 And that's your right, and it's fine. But let *other* developers
68 choose whatever technologies they want to choose, and (consequently)
69 drop support for obsolete technologies like pm-utils.
70
71 That's the reason for this whole thread: developers chose the
72 technological superior alternative; saying that the reason for that is
73 that there is cabals and conspiracies is blatant ignorance (in the
74 best case), or spreading FUD (in the worst case).
75
76 >> Or help Samuli to maintain upower-pm-utils; that would be *much* more
77 >> helpful than spreding FUD about cabals and conspiracies.
78 >
79 > There is no need for me to invent Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt -- the
80 > folks involved are doing quite well on their own.
81
82 I never said you "invented" it. I say you are spreading it, and I
83 still think that's the case.
84
85 > Also, history (for
86 > those not doomed to repeat it [1]) provides all that is required to make
87 > calling it a "cabal" [TINC - there is no cabal![2]] There never was a
88 > Usenet Backbone Cabal in any formal sense, but there was plenty of
89 > semi-(un)coordinated activity -- based largely on shared ideals -- that
90 > gave that appearance. {I was there when Usenet/Netnews was invented,
91 > closely observing, making minor and not-so-minor contributions, and was
92 > responsible for some of the "cabal-like" activities.}
93
94 Great; so any kind of group work "semi-(un)coordinated" can be called
95 a cabal, and it has no (inherent) negative connotation. Then the Linux
96 Kernel developers is a Cabal; the GNOME devs is a Cabal; the KDE ones
97 are also a Cabal; and of course the Gentoo Developers who *oppose*
98 systemd is a Cabal, and so are the ones that *support* systemd.
99
100 So you yourself are saying that calling out a "Cabal" of systemd
101 proponents have no meaning at all whatsoever, because *EVERYTHING* is
102 a Cabal.
103
104 > The mere coinage of terms like "Lennertware," whether or not deserved,
105 > show that there is a widespread awareness that some developers, in my
106 > opinion, have over developed egos. [3]
107
108 Yeah, please go and check out the "contributions" (when they exist) of
109 the people that seriously use the term "Lennartware". Doesn't matter
110 to what project, check out what they have contributed over the years.
111 Go on, I wait; it would not take you long, because they usually are
112 NOT developers, and the few that are actually developers haven't
113 contributed really that much.
114
115 Now go on and check out the contributions of the people that say that,
116 please, do not use the term Lennartware.
117
118 There is *NO* "widespread awareness". There is a small but really loud
119 group of people that are unwilling and/or unable to create good code
120 that all distributions wants to use, and therefore use childish
121 tactics like coining terms like "Lennartware".
122
123 > It is all so trite to say "become a developer and DO something instead
124 > of complaining" but it is not a realistic thing to say when the
125 > problems are getting so large and interconnected.
126
127 And that's the root of your misunderstanding Greg. There are no
128 "problems"; this "interconnection" is by design, because many
129 developers are fed up with a Lego-like plumbing where you can
130 interchange any basic component like a Lego block, all of them equally
131 weak and fragile, which makes the testing matrices of all
132 distributions a nightmare to maintain.
133
134 So they are creating a single plumbing layer that we are calling
135 systemd. This is not a "problem", although there are developers that
136 see it that way; this is a technical solution to a technical problem.
137
138 Furthermore, it works GREAT, and the best proof of that is that
139 basically Gentoo and Slackware (I think) are the only distributions
140 not using it by default.
141
142 > Furthermore, it
143 > denigrates and devalues the "pseudo-democratic" processes that FOSS and
144 > Linux have worked for years to nurture.
145
146 There was *never* a "pseudo-democratic" process in FOSS or Linux.
147 NEVER. It would be a *terrible* mistake.
148
149 It has always been a *meritocratic* process. That's why we have
150 "benevolent dictators" everywhere in the community:
151
152 THOSE WHO WRITE THE CODE, MAKE THE RULES.
153
154 So if you want to change the rules, start writing some code.
155
156 Regards.
157 --
158 Canek Peláez Valdés
159 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias