From: Greg Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd upower
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 10:28:42
1 On 06/03/2014 10:05 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Greg Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> Sure, systemd is a more elegant solution than the patchworks that have
6 >> been applied several times to the original SysV concept.
7 >
8 > Glad to see you recognize that.
9 >
10 >> However, the implementors and advocates of systemd have stepped on the
11 >> concerns and violated certain basic freedoms of many folks in their zeal
12 >> to see their vision become predominate.
13 >
14 > Oh FFS. What "freedoms" have you had "violated"? The "freedom" to
15 > mandate what other developers should write, or what packages they can
16 > use as hard dependencies?
17 >
18 > You never had that "freedom". That's the developer freedom; if you
19 > want some of that, become a developer.
20
21 I was a developer for more years than I really care to remember. I
22 still try to contribute in ways and areas that I'm not so out-of-date with.
23
24 Furthermore, it is a two-way street (as I see it.) The developers write
25 things they find interesting and enjoyable to work on, and users use
26 things that are interesting and work well. For many, seeing other folks
27 use what they have written provides a significant measure of the
28 enjoyment derived from the exercise.
29
30 To see this as only freedom for the developer is part of an attitude
31 shift over the years that only lessens the overall usefulness of Linux
32 and FOSS. It does, in fact, push quite a few folk I know away from the
33 Linux arena. It is, to use a political analogy, like the people who
34 claim there "is not any real difference" between *any* opposing
35 political movements -- that neglects taking into account a great deal of
36 technical and historical details.
37
38 I occasionally think about forking projects and fixing some of the
39 things I think are the most egregious fsck-ups in some of them, but then
40 I really look at what I'm doing and what I enjoy doing, and realize that
41 I won't get enough (emotional?) reward for giving up time in other
42 significant parts of my life.
43
44 > Or help Samuli to maintain upower-pm-utils; that would be *much* more
45 > helpful than spreding FUD about cabals and conspiracies.
46
47 There is no need for me to invent Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt -- the
48 folks involved are doing quite well on their own. Also, history (for
49 those not doomed to repeat it [1]) provides all that is required to make
50 calling it a "cabal" [TINC - there is no cabal![2]] There never was a
51 Usenet Backbone Cabal in any formal sense, but there was plenty of
52 semi-(un)coordinated activity -- based largely on shared ideals -- that
53 gave that appearance. {I was there when Usenet/Netnews was invented,
54 closely observing, making minor and not-so-minor contributions, and was
55 responsible for some of the "cabal-like" activities.}
56
57 The mere coinage of terms like "Lennertware," whether or not deserved,
58 show that there is a widespread awareness that some developers, in my
59 opinion, have over developed egos. [3]
60
61 It is all so trite to say "become a developer and DO something instead
62 of complaining" but it is not a realistic thing to say when the
63 problems are getting so large and interconnected. Furthermore, it
64 denigrates and devalues the "pseudo-democratic" processes that FOSS and
65 Linux have worked for years to nurture.
68 [1] Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
69 (paraphrase of George Santayana)
70
71 [2] See, for starters:
72 http://http://en.wikipedia.or/wiki/Backbone_cabal
73
74 [3] All Gods have feet of clay.
75 source uncertain.
76 (perhaps a reference to "Ozymandias"?
79 G.Wolfe Woodbury
80 {once upon a time AKA ...!duke!ggw}