From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Licenses
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 02:34:57
1 On Wednesday 17 January 2007 00:54, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
2 > I was wondering -- is there a way to find out which of the licenses
3 > in /usr/portage/licenses can be considered free software licenses
4 > (without having to read and understand them)?
5 >
6 > I'm trying to find out what packages I have installed that cannot be
7 > considered free, and while it's easy to get a list of the licenses in
8 > use, that in itself is pretty useless without knowing anything about the
9 > licenses.
10 >
11 > Btw., shouldn't portage have some kind of flag to at least warn if a
12 > proprietary package is being pulled in through dependencies? I just
13 > discovered that I have realplayer installed, which was pulled in by
14 > mplayer.
15
16 I don't know of a list which is available now but glep 23 [1] does address
17 this issue with license groups. There are a number of discussions about this
18 glep in the archives of the gentoo-dev mailing list and a number of bugs
19 related to it. I suppose you could try to ask on one of those bugs, irc or
20 gentoo-dev@ if anyone has a list of what will become the OSI-APPROVED or the
21 FSF-APPROVED license group.
22
23 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0023.html