From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [O/T] PSU caps
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 11:16:20
1 On Wednesday, 28 October 2020 22:57:25 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Michael wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday, 28 October 2020 19:27:06 GMT Dale wrote:
4 > >> I'm thinking about replacing that cap and seeing if it works. I've
5 > >> repaired a few monitors that way but my question is, should I trust it
6 > >> after replacing that cap even if it works?? Should it be load tested or
7 > >> something? Does the protection circuitry only work once?
8 > >
9 > > It depends what was damaged and the cause of it. It could be the
10 > > capacitor
11 > > reached its predicted end of life. It could have been a transient
12 > > voltage, in which case more things in the protection circuit (diodes,
13 > > resistors) may have also been damaged.
14 > >
15 > > I had an old desktop which during a lightning storm ended up with a blown
16 > > PSU and a blown winmodem. The winmodem was unrepairable, but the PSU
17 > > survived following the replacement of a single capacitor. :-)
18 > >
19 > > For the cost of a capacitor I'd give it a try and then measure the output
20 > > voltages under load.
21 >
22 > Well, we getting rain but I haven't heard a single bit of thunder or any
23 > light blinking. Nothing really bad anywhere near us either. It's the
24 > hurricane thing again. I might add, I got surge protection coming out
25 > my ears. One in the main breaker box that should protect everything.
26 > It's installed right below the main breaker.
27
28 This type of surge protectors are good for mains transients and can be reset
29 when they trip.
32 > Another one at the wall plug where I plug my UPS in.
33
34 These may or may not reset - depending on the type. The multi-socket
35 extensions with varistors (MOV) in them are not a fit and forget item. If
36 they have seen repeated or prolonged overvoltage conditions close or above to
37 their clamping voltage value, they can and do degrade over time. So you may
38 think I'm well protected me, but when the next transient comes along the surge
39 protector provides next to no protection at all. A close by lightning strike
40 will cause the varistor to fail catastrophically, in which case you'll know
41 it's cooked and take action to replace the unit, but otherwise you wouldn't be
42 aware of its suboptimal capability.
45 > End of life. That is my bet. I did a search for when I ordered the
46 > power supply. It is within a month or so of being 10 years old. I may
47 > replace that capacitor just for giggles but honestly, I got my money out
48 > of that thing a few years ago. I'd be worried about the other
49 > capacitors in there too. Are they about to pop as well?? Who knows.
50
51 If they are not domed they ought to be OK.
52
53 A big power surge will overheat the capacitor, causing the electrolyte paste
54 to evaporate fast and blow its top off.
55
56 Lower surges, or operating in overheated conditions for prolonged periods will
57 cause it to dome as it expands. It may also cause it to leak slowly, in which
58 case it may not pop/explode. There are a number of failure modes of
59 electrolytic capacitors, but I don't recall all of them.
60
61 The wear and tear of capacitors is a function of temperature and voltage. As
62 long as both are kept low they will last long(er).