From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [O/T] PSU caps
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 17:39:42
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 28 October 2020 22:57:25 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >> Michael wrote:
4 >>> On Wednesday, 28 October 2020 19:27:06 GMT Dale wrote:
5 >>>> I'm thinking about replacing that cap and seeing if it works. I've
6 >>>> repaired a few monitors that way but my question is, should I trust it
7 >>>> after replacing that cap even if it works?? Should it be load tested or
8 >>>> something? Does the protection circuitry only work once?
9 >>> It depends what was damaged and the cause of it. It could be the
10 >>> capacitor
11 >>> reached its predicted end of life. It could have been a transient
12 >>> voltage, in which case more things in the protection circuit (diodes,
13 >>> resistors) may have also been damaged.
14 >>>
15 >>> I had an old desktop which during a lightning storm ended up with a blown
16 >>> PSU and a blown winmodem. The winmodem was unrepairable, but the PSU
17 >>> survived following the replacement of a single capacitor. :-)
18 >>>
19 >>> For the cost of a capacitor I'd give it a try and then measure the output
20 >>> voltages under load.
21 >> Well, we getting rain but I haven't heard a single bit of thunder or any
22 >> light blinking. Nothing really bad anywhere near us either. It's the
23 >> hurricane thing again. I might add, I got surge protection coming out
24 >> my ears. One in the main breaker box that should protect everything.
25 >> It's installed right below the main breaker.
26 > This type of surge protectors are good for mains transients and can be reset
27 > when they trip.
30 It also has a indicator that tells when it is done protecting or
31 something happens and it trips the breaker.
32
33 >> Another one at the wall plug where I plug my UPS in.
34 > These may or may not reset - depending on the type. The multi-socket
35 > extensions with varistors (MOV) in them are not a fit and forget item. If
36 > they have seen repeated or prolonged overvoltage conditions close or above to
37 > their clamping voltage value, they can and do degrade over time. So you may
38 > think I'm well protected me, but when the next transient comes along the surge
39 > protector provides next to no protection at all. A close by lightning strike
40 > will cause the varistor to fail catastrophically, in which case you'll know
41 > it's cooked and take action to replace the unit, but otherwise you wouldn't be
42 > aware of its suboptimal capability.
45 These also have a indicator that indicates when they have absorbed all
46 the surges they can.  In the past, I've had a few go out.  I replace
47 them when needed.  The biggest issue with power around here, sags or
48 just total blinks.  Our power company has surge arrestors in several
49 places along the lines.  Sometimes when I'm driving down the road, I see
50 them.  They place different kinds of protection devices to help protect
51 from different power issues.  Some are just a basic spark gap that when
52 the voltage gets to high it sparks and some are large cans which work
53 like a large MOV.  Very effective given the high voltages on the wires.
54 Sometimes after a large storm comes through, I see them in the bucket
55 trucks replacing them.  No telling how many TVs or deep freezers that
56 may have saved.
59 >> End of life. That is my bet. I did a search for when I ordered the
60 >> power supply. It is within a month or so of being 10 years old. I may
61 >> replace that capacitor just for giggles but honestly, I got my money out
62 >> of that thing a few years ago. I'd be worried about the other
63 >> capacitors in there too. Are they about to pop as well?? Who knows.
64 > If they are not domed they ought to be OK.
65 >
66 > A big power surge will overheat the capacitor, causing the electrolyte paste
67 > to evaporate fast and blow its top off.
68 >
69 > Lower surges, or operating in overheated conditions for prolonged periods will
70 > cause it to dome as it expands. It may also cause it to leak slowly, in which
71 > case it may not pop/explode. There are a number of failure modes of
72 > electrolytic capacitors, but I don't recall all of them.
73 >
74 > The wear and tear of capacitors is a function of temperature and voltage. As
75 > long as both are kept low they will last long(er).
78 They may be OK at the moment but what about a month down the road?  Six
79 months down the road?  Yea, the one with the most pressure, read that as
80 heat, voltage and other conditions, may pop first but the others may
81 follow suite sometime after that.  The thing is ten years old and the
82 other caps are likely the same age.  Of course, power supplies nowadays
83 have really good protection.  Odds are it won't do any damage outside
84 the power supply itself but there is always a risk.  Given the price of
85 a decent power supply, it may be better to just buy a new one.  It is
86 tempting tho.
87
88 Dale
89