From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I don't seem to have a system log. Help, please!
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 11:46:25
1 On Mon, 9 Feb 2015 11:23:52 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2
3 > No, I've never used systemd either. It's useful to be able to read
4 > /var/log/messages with less, probe it with grep/awk/perl, etc., without
5 > having to learn some special purpose script language.
6
7 journalctl outputs to less (or whatever $PAGER contains) by default or
8 you can pipe its output to anything else. Running journalctl with no
9 arguments is the equivalent of cat /var/log/messages.
10
11 I do have syslog installed, but that's a holdover from when I was
12 experimenting with systemd, I really could get rid of it now.
16 Neil Bothwick
17
18 How do you know when it's time to tune your bagpipes?