From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I don't seem to have a system log. Help, please!
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 11:24:31
1 Hello, Matthias.
2
3 On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 11:06:42AM +0100, Matthias Hanft wrote:
4 > Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > > Do I actually need to configure the name of a log file in
7 > > /etc/conf.d/syslog-ng? The Gentoo installation guide didn't mention, or
8 > > even hint at, such being necessary.
9
10 > The names of the log files (and much more) are configured in
11 > /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf - since I have some special
12 > configuration there, I don't know if /var/log/syslog is the
13 > default, but /var/log/messages is a good guess, too.
14
15 Yes, I've got a /var/log/messages. I've even looked at it many times in
16 the past. But I didn't know that it was THE system log. Thanks!
17
18 > And (from what I have heard) if you use systemd instead of
19 > openrc, there are no syslog files at all - you have to export
20 > them (from some binary database) manually to some human-
21 > readable format. But I don't know much about that - never
22 > used systemd on any Gentoo Linux yet.
23
24 No, I've never used systemd either. It's useful to be able to read
25 /var/log/messages with less, probe it with grep/awk/perl, etc., without
26 having to learn some special purpose script language.
27
28 > -Matt
31 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).