From: Matthias Hanft <mh@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I don't seem to have a system log. Help, please!
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 10:06:55
1 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 >
3 > Do I actually need to configure the name of a log file in
4 > /etc/conf.d/syslog-ng? The Gentoo installation guide didn't mention, or
5 > even hint at, such being necessary.
6
7 The names of the log files (and much more) are configured in
8 /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf - since I have some special
9 configuration there, I don't know if /var/log/syslog is the
10 default, but /var/log/messages is a good guess, too.
11
12 And (from what I have heard) if you use systemd instead of
13 openrc, there are no syslog files at all - you have to export
14 them (from some binary database) manually to some human-
15 readable format. But I don't know much about that - never
16 used systemd on any Gentoo Linux yet.
17
18 -Matt