From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I don't seem to have a system log. Help, please!
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 11:23:23
1 On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 5:06 AM, Matthias Hanft <mh@×××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > And (from what I have heard) if you use systemd instead of
4 > openrc, there are no syslog files at all - you have to export
5 > them (from some binary database) manually to some human-
6 > readable format. But I don't know much about that - never
7 > used systemd on any Gentoo Linux yet.
8
9 You don't have to export them from anything unless you need their
10 content in a text file. If you just run "journalctl" that is the
11 equivalent of typing cat /var/log/messages. If you do want to parse
12 them with an external tool then you get your choice of several text
13 formats and json.
14
15 And yes, you can also run syslog, though I never really got the point
16 of that. The value of the journal is that you capture full metadata
17 for your log entries and you can just query it vs having to parse
18 undelimited text files. Heck, it seems like half the enterprise
19 monitoring tools start out by grabbing that log file that has
20 discarded most of the context and then putting it in a database and
21 attempting to re-create it all.
24 Rich