From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: grub:2 first experience with it
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 12:03:30
On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 4:08 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 19:44:47 -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote: >>> >>> grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg >>> >>> Even a large proportion of Ubuntu users would be able to manage >>> without it. >> >> I think the reason it exists is that it had to do a bit more with legacy >> GRUB. > > That makes sense.
Debian and Ubuntu have a few update-* commands that are mostly run by maintainer scripts, update-alternatives, update-grub, update-initramfs, update-locale, update-passwd, update-rc.d, ... Most users weren't aware of grub1's update-grub because it was run from the kernel postinst script and it wouldn't wipe out user changes because there was a note in menu.lst not to modify entries within the "AUTOMAGIC" comments. When grub2 came along, update-grub was turned into a call to grub-mkconfig...