From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge gnash
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 20:50:58
1 On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:40:55PM -0300, Ezequiel Garcia wrote
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I was trying to emerge gnash but failed. Here's the output....
6 >>
7 >> The problem seems to be boost_thread not present. I'll try to emerge
8 >> that, but in any case this looks like a gentoo bug in gnash ebuild.
9 >
10 > Change the jobs option in /etc/make.conf to 1, i.e...
11 >
12 > MAKEOPTS="-j1"
13 >
14 > You'd be surprised how many "unreproducable" bugs that fixes. I
15 > simply leave it at that setting all the time. Yes, it takes a little
16 > bit longer to build, but the compiled binary runs just as fast. And any
17 > time you "save" building will be lost the first time you spend a few
18 > hours trying to figure out mysterious build failures.
19
20 Good observation. I usually look at the build log and file bug reports
21 when I see that happen. It can take a while to learn to recognize, but
22 it usually takes less than a minute to spot. I could probably automate
23 it with a shell script and grep. Hm.
24
25 (Parallel building cuts my build time for a full system two a mere few
26 hours, IIRC. A serial build of a full system takes could be started
27 before I go to sleep, and wouldn't be done before I went into work the
28 next day.)
29
30 (I tried tricking genlop into giving me the build time of an emerge
31 -pe by putting -e in EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, but it appears to be hung.
32 :( )
35 :wq