From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Linus ranting about Gnome3
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 23:01:35
1 On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Matthew Finkel
2 <matthew.finkel@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Matthew Finkel
6 >> <matthew.finkel@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >> > On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
8 >> > wrote:
9 >> >>
10 >> >> On 16/06/12 21:27, walt wrote:
11 >> >>>
12 >> >>> I guess they figure the desktop will be extinct relatively soon
13 >> >>> and their customer base will vanish unless they capture the
14 >> >>> smartphone market.
15 >> >>
16 >> >>
17 >> >> Ah yes, the death of the desktop PC, which is happening for 15 years
18 >> >> now.
19 >> >>
20 >> >> Are we dead yet?
21 >> >
22 >> >
23 >> > I'm not holding my breath. There will always be a divide for the power
24 >> > users. A single, under-powered interface isn't going to cut it for a lot
25 >> > of
26 >> > us. X provides us with the flexibility that isn't available with the
27 >> > mobile
28 >> > interface.
29 >>
30 >> Even in the Microsoft world, I can't easily imagine them ditching the
31 >> old UI paradigm for their Windows Server products. They've come a long
32 >> way in making Windows CLI-friendly (see PowerShell), but they haven't
33 >> yet (AFAIK) provided a good mechanism for remote CLI access.
36 > True, and they've been working "hard" to get it to the state it is in now.
37 > In many cases, sys admins have had to unlearn relying on their mouse
38 > for complete power. The CLI provides options that are, obviously, very
39 > difficult
40 > to express in a simple GUI (I know I'm preaching to the choir). Powershell
41 > has
42 > made huge progress in this respect, but it still has a long way to go in
43 > order to
44 > compete with what we have. And I doubt the server environment would ever
45 > become stripped down to the state we're talking about.
46
47 Actually, they're there as of Windows Server 2008. It's called
48 "Windows Server 2008 Core". According to "Windows Server 2008: The
49 Definitive Guide", you log into one of these systems and all you get
50 (by default) is a terminal window with an instance of cmd.exe. It goes
51 on to list seven server roles this configuration supports:
52
53 * Active Directory and Active Directory Lightweight Domain Services (LDS)
54 * DHCP Server
55 * DNS Server
56 * File Services (including DFSR and NFS)
57 * Print Services
58 * Streaming Media Services
59 * Windows Server Virtualization
60
61 (Curiously, one of the things you _can't_ do is run Managed Code.)
65 >> Not that they won't be able to bolt one in easily enough; CSRSS means
66 >> they should be able to provide, e.g. an SSH daemon, give the
67 >> connecting user a PowerShell login session[1], and give it equal
68 >> privileges and security controls as they have for any other login
69 >> session.
70 >
71 > How many years have they had? I'd given up on this years ago.
72
73 SFU is available in the "Server Core" configuration. I imagine you
74 could run OpenSSH under there. Or some commercial entity could come
75 along and provide an SSH+screen(ish) component to snap into the CSRSS
76 framework.
79 :wq