From: Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Linus ranting about Gnome3
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 22:44:39
1 On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Matthew Finkel
4 > <matthew.finkel@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
6 > wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >> On 16/06/12 21:27, walt wrote:
9 > >>>
10 > >>> I guess they figure the desktop will be extinct relatively soon
11 > >>> and their customer base will vanish unless they capture the
12 > >>> smartphone market.
13 > >>
14 > >>
15 > >> Ah yes, the death of the desktop PC, which is happening for 15 years
16 > now.
17 > >>
18 > >> Are we dead yet?
21 > > I'm not holding my breath. There will always be a divide for the power
22 > > users. A single, under-powered interface isn't going to cut it for a lot
23 > of
24 > > us. X provides us with the flexibility that isn't available with the
25 > mobile
26 > > interface.
27 >
28 > Even in the Microsoft world, I can't easily imagine them ditching the
29 > old UI paradigm for their Windows Server products. They've come a long
30 > way in making Windows CLI-friendly (see PowerShell), but they haven't
31 > yet (AFAIK) provided a good mechanism for remote CLI access.
34 True, and they've been working "hard" to get it to the state it is in now.
35 In many cases, sys admins have had to unlearn relying on their mouse
36 for complete power. The CLI provides options that are, obviously, very
37 difficult
38 to express in a simple GUI (I know I'm preaching to the choir). Powershell
39 has
40 made huge progress in this respect, but it still has a long way to go in
41 order to
42 compete with what we have. And I doubt the server environment would ever
43 become stripped down to the state we're talking about.
46 > Not that they won't be able to bolt one in easily enough; CSRSS means
47 > they should be able to provide, e.g. an SSH daemon, give the
48 > connecting user a PowerShell login session[1], and give it equal
49 > privileges and security controls as they have for any other login
50 > session.
53 How many years have they had? I'd given up on this years ago.