From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Linus ranting about Gnome3
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 21:31:43
1 On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Matthew Finkel
2 <matthew.finkel@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On 16/06/12 21:27, walt wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> I guess they figure the desktop will be extinct relatively soon
8 >>> and their customer base will vanish unless they capture the
9 >>> smartphone market.
12 >> Ah yes, the death of the desktop PC, which is happening for 15 years now.
13 >>
14 >> Are we dead yet?
17 > I'm not holding my breath. There will always be a divide for the power
18 > users. A single, under-powered interface isn't going to cut it for a lot of
19 > us. X provides us with the flexibility that isn't available with the mobile
20 > interface.
21
22 Even in the Microsoft world, I can't easily imagine them ditching the
23 old UI paradigm for their Windows Server products. They've come a long
24 way in making Windows CLI-friendly (see PowerShell), but they haven't
25 yet (AFAIK) provided a good mechanism for remote CLI access.
26
27 Not that they won't be able to bolt one in easily enough; CSRSS means
28 they should be able to provide, e.g. an SSH daemon, give the
29 connecting user a PowerShell login session[1], and give it equal
30 privileges and security controls as they have for any other login
31 session.
32
33 [1] A 'screen' workalike would be useful, but I don't know how quickly
34 they'll jump on that.
38 :wq