From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any big gotcha's when update from several (5) mnths
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 18:54:22
1 On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:26:36 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > I think you have a specific view that is likely the very best thing to
4 > do for your situation, what ever that is, be it work, office, server
5 > farm. I don't know. I'm guessing however, that in your world machines
6 > are always turned on, burning power, and running cron jobs in those
7 > environment makes lots of sense.
8
9 Bear in mind I was saying an unattended cron is my reason FOR doing a
10 separate fetch.
11
12 > In my world, which is just a lowly home user of Linux for nearly 15
13 > years now, many of the machines I take care of spend more time turned
14 > off than on. cron jobs don't work when there's no power applied, and
15 > while you can let the machine immediately catch up when the machine is
16 > powered back up, in my world of futures trading I need to control CPU
17 > and network usage to ensure that both downloads and builds don't
18 > impact my opportunity to make a trade and hopefully make some money.
19 > As I write this email I'm currently in my 23rd S&P futures trade of
20 > the day which at this point is just about 5 hours old. Some of these
21 > trades take only a few minutes and likely wouldn't execute correctly
22 > if portage was building KDE.
23
24 That is a rather different usage, certainly to mine and probably to the
25 OP too. In your situation, where timely and correct updates are so
26 important, I'd be tempted to build packages in a chroot on a less
27 important system and do an emerge -ku world when everything was ready and
28 the time was right.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 Dolly Parton-- silicone based life