From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Choosing between system profiles: hardened and desktop for desktop installation.
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2017 16:02:27
1 On Friday 07 Jul 2017 13:25:20 Martin Vaeth wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On Friday 07 Jul 2017 07:53:01 Martin Vaeth wrote:
4 > >> ... my original text was arguing against the claim that the primary
5 > >> purpose of hardened kernels was to protect against untrusted users
6 > >> sitting in front of the keyboard.
7 > >
8 > > It wasn't a claim, just an impression
9 >
10 > Sorry that my formulation was unfortunate.
11 > My intention had been to explain why that impression is wrong IMHO.
12 >
13 > Anyway, this discussion is meanwhile almost pointless since
14 > hardened-sources are pratically no longer available for "normal"
15 > users, and so also the hardened profile has become almost pointless.
16
17 Yes, but all the same it did start an interesting discussion.
18
19 > As a small substitute, I would recommend to follow the recommendations
20 > of the kernel self projection project and to use the
21 >
22 > default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop
23 >
24 > profile
25
26 Ah. I'm on default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma, this being a "stable"
27 system. Is there a README or something to explain the differences 13.0 ->
28 17.0? Or perhaps I should consider going to ~amd64.
29
30 > or - if you are limited to x86 - to combine
31
32 > default/linux/x86
33 > releases/17.0
34 > targets/desktop
35 >
36 > which enables the current compilers with some default-enabled
37 > security relevant CFLAGS.
38 > In addition you can also add -fstack-check=specific
39 > to CFLAGS and -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro to LDFLAGS.
40 >
41 > All this is not a complete substitute for TPE and friends but
42 > better than nothing.
43
44 Thanks for the ideas, Martin. I've made that CFLAGS change and added this to
45 make.conf:
46
47 LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS} -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro"
48
49 since I didn't have a definition already.
52 Regards
53 Peter