From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Choosing between system profiles: hardened and desktop for desktop installation.
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2017 13:25:45
1 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Friday 07 Jul 2017 07:53:01 Martin Vaeth wrote:
3 >
4 >> ... my original text was arguing against the claim that the primary
5 >> purpose of hardened kernels was to protect against untrusted users
6 >> sitting in front of the keyboard.
7 >
8 > It wasn't a claim, just an impression
9
10 Sorry that my formulation was unfortunate.
11 My intention had been to explain why that impression is wrong IMHO.
12
13 Anyway, this discussion is meanwhile almost pointless since
14 hardened-sources are pratically no longer available for "normal"
15 users, and so also the hardened profile has become almost pointless.
16
17 As a small substitute, I would recommend to follow the recommendations
18 of the kernel self projection project and to use the
19
20 default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop
21
22 profile or - if you are limited to x86 - to combine
23
24 default/linux/x86
25 releases/17.0
26 targets/desktop
27
28 which enables the current compilers with some default-enabled
29 security relevant CFLAGS.
30 In addition you can also add -fstack-check=specific
31 to CFLAGS and -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro to LDFLAGS.
32
33 All this is not a complete substitute for TPE and friends but
34 better than nothing.