From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Choosing between system profiles: hardened and desktop for desktop installation.
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2017 13:55:34
1 On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Friday 07 Jul 2017 07:53:01 Martin Vaeth wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> ... my original text was arguing against the claim that the primary
6 >>> purpose of hardened kernels was to protect against untrusted users
7 >>> sitting in front of the keyboard.
8 >>
9 >> It wasn't a claim, just an impression
10 >
11 > Sorry that my formulation was unfortunate.
12 > My intention had been to explain why that impression is wrong IMHO.
13 >
14 > Anyway, this discussion is meanwhile almost pointless since
15 > hardened-sources are pratically no longer available for "normal"
16 > users, and so also the hardened profile has become almost pointless.
19 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardened_Gentoo
20
21 The hardened profile still sets PaX and a slew of toolchain options.
22
23 > As a small substitute, I would recommend to follow the recommendations
24 > of the kernel self projection project and to use the
25 >
26 > default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop
27 >
28 > profile or - if you are limited to x86 - to combine
29 >
30 > default/linux/x86
31 > releases/17.0
32 > targets/desktop
33 >
34 > which enables the current compilers with some default-enabled
35 > security relevant CFLAGS.
36 > In addition you can also add -fstack-check=specific
37 > to CFLAGS and -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro to LDFLAGS.
38 >
39 > All this is not a complete substitute for TPE and friends but
40 > better than nothing.