From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Choosing between system profiles: hardened and desktop for desktop installation.
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2017 16:50:20
1 R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardened_Gentoo
4 >
5 > The hardened profile still sets PaX and a slew of toolchain options.
6
7 Yes. But marking binaries for pax if you don't use a kernel with pax
8 is pointless. And whether you use the hardened toolchain or a current
9 gcc with USE="ssp pie" does not make a big difference if you have
10 the mentioned LDFLAGS in your make.conf.
11 I think the main difference is that -fstack-protector(-strong?) is
12 used instead of -fstack-protector-all (IMHO the latter is overkill).
13 I am not sure how it is with -fstack-check.