From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 04:45:18
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 6:39 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>> Use /dev/disks/by/partlabel/foo or /dev/disks/by-partuuid/bar.
5 >>>
6 >> That's even more typing than /dev/sdk. Some things I do easily by using
7 >> tab completion and all. When mounting, I let fstab remember the UUID
8 >> for it.
9 > That's what copy/paste is for. How often are you editing your
10 > crypttab anyway? This way when you move drives around they still
11 > work.
12
13 What is crypttab?  I type in the command manually.  It's what the howtos
14 showed.  I can't find a crypttab file.  This may make things easier.  My
15 usual names are 8tb, 6tb and pri, short for private.  Ran out of other
16 names. ROFL
20 >> It's not like UUIDs are made to remember either.
21 > blkid is your friend.
22 >
23 > This is for config files, not random mounting/unmounting. I use the
24 > dynamic device nodes all the time if I'm just plugging a drive in and
25 > looking at it. However, if I'm going to put it in a config file I use
26 > a persistent ID so that I'm not running into breakage anytime things
27 > change.
28 >
29 > When I'm setting it up it is just a few extra seconds to look up the
30 > UUID and copy/paste it. When the system randomly breaks I have to go
31 > digging through logs and config files to figure out what went wrong.
32 > It pays for me to spend a little more time on getting my config right
33 > when everything is fresh in my head, because when I'm troubleshooting
34 > it will take a little while just to figure out what I did when I set
35 > it up.
36 >
37 > Here is an example of one of my cryptsetup files:
38 > cd1 UUID="1cbd5860-3469-41f7-8658-acd83d1957a0" /cd1.key
39 >
40 > (This is using a random key stored in a file, which works for this
41 > particular situation. Obviously the drive is only as secure as that
42 > file.)
43 >
44 > The corresponding drive blkid output is:
45 > /dev/sdb1: UUID="1cbd5860-3469-41f7-8658-acd83d1957a0"
46 > TYPE="crypto_LUKS" PARTUUID="a4a383a8-24c2-f74b-94d8-ca4ffc366327"
47 >
48 > Oh, and look at that - the first drive I set up on this system is
49 > actually the second drive that got assigned a device name. It was
50 > probably /dev/sda1 when I first set it up, and I added another drive
51 > since then.
52 >
53 > The contained drive shows up as:
54 > /dev/mapper/cd1: UUID="a2721813-4d10-4f69-ab2a-4beb0d6e95d7" TYPE="ext4"
55 >
56 > (No LVM here - this is storage for a distributed filesystem so the
57 > volume management is effectively above the filesystem level. I can
58 > add other drives to the cluster and they're in the pool, and if I want
59 > to move data off this drive I can just edit a config file and the data
60 > will be moved while online. The encryption is mainly so that if a
61 > drive fails I don't have to worry about anybody recovering data from
62 > it.)
66 I use passwords here.  I just type in sdk1 and it worked before this
67 drive move.  I never tried to go any further than the howtos I found
68 about using cryptsetup.  No clue on the file.  I don't see one here and
69 don't recall reading about it either.  Gonna google on that a bit.
70
71 Interesting.
72
73 Dale