From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 03:13:22
1 On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 6:39 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > Use /dev/disks/by/partlabel/foo or /dev/disks/by-partuuid/bar.
7 > That's even more typing than /dev/sdk. Some things I do easily by using
8 > tab completion and all. When mounting, I let fstab remember the UUID
9 > for it.
10
11 That's what copy/paste is for. How often are you editing your
12 crypttab anyway? This way when you move drives around they still
13 work.
14
15 > It's not like UUIDs are made to remember either.
16
17 blkid is your friend.
18
19 This is for config files, not random mounting/unmounting. I use the
20 dynamic device nodes all the time if I'm just plugging a drive in and
21 looking at it. However, if I'm going to put it in a config file I use
22 a persistent ID so that I'm not running into breakage anytime things
23 change.
24
25 When I'm setting it up it is just a few extra seconds to look up the
26 UUID and copy/paste it. When the system randomly breaks I have to go
27 digging through logs and config files to figure out what went wrong.
28 It pays for me to spend a little more time on getting my config right
29 when everything is fresh in my head, because when I'm troubleshooting
30 it will take a little while just to figure out what I did when I set
31 it up.
32
33 Here is an example of one of my cryptsetup files:
34 cd1 UUID="1cbd5860-3469-41f7-8658-acd83d1957a0" /cd1.key
35
36 (This is using a random key stored in a file, which works for this
37 particular situation. Obviously the drive is only as secure as that
38 file.)
39
40 The corresponding drive blkid output is:
41 /dev/sdb1: UUID="1cbd5860-3469-41f7-8658-acd83d1957a0"
42 TYPE="crypto_LUKS" PARTUUID="a4a383a8-24c2-f74b-94d8-ca4ffc366327"
43
44 Oh, and look at that - the first drive I set up on this system is
45 actually the second drive that got assigned a device name. It was
46 probably /dev/sda1 when I first set it up, and I added another drive
47 since then.
48
49 The contained drive shows up as:
50 /dev/mapper/cd1: UUID="a2721813-4d10-4f69-ab2a-4beb0d6e95d7" TYPE="ext4"
51
52 (No LVM here - this is storage for a distributed filesystem so the
53 volume management is effectively above the filesystem level. I can
54 add other drives to the cluster and they're in the pool, and if I want
55 to move data off this drive I can just edit a config file and the data
56 will be moved while online. The encryption is mainly so that if a
57 drive fails I don't have to worry about anybody recovering data from
58 it.)
61 Rich