From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo server installation
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:12:13
1 On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 21:29, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 15:15 on Friday 10 June 2011, Joost Roeleveld
3 > did opine thusly:
4 >
5 >> On Friday 10 June 2011 12:13:22 Perenaster wrote:
6 >> > Hey,
7 >> > I dont't know if this is the right list I'm writing to but I want to use
8 >> > Gentoo as server. My aim is a small as possible installation of an OS
9 >> > with only the modules I want. So I thought Gentoo might be the OS of
10 >> > choice. Is it suitable for an server or should I look for an other
11 >> > distro?
12 >> > Is there anything in particular that I have to mention at the
13 >> > installation? Thanks in advance,
14 >> > Tom
15 >>
16 >> Hi Tom,
17 >>
18 >> Gentoo is quite usable as a Server. I use it as such myself.
19 >
20 > Funny think about Gentoo is that it can save you a few MB of disk space by
21 > removing things you don't need.
22 >
23 > But it consumes 3GB of disk space to do it.
26 Heh, I personally don't really care about hard disk usage.
27
28 All I know is, compared to other 'server'-oriented distros (or distro
29 variant), Gentoo has the least amount of memory usage :-)
30
31 Rgds,
32 --
33 Pandu E Poluan