From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] thunderbird/firefox conflict
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:18:46
1 Tero Grundström schreef:
2 > On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Holly Bostick wrote:
5 >> In this case, syncing less often wasn't an issue-- the reason I had to
6 >> upgrade to 1.0.6 was due to a GLSA.
11 > I don't find any GLSA on firefox-1.0.6. Even the official firefox release
12 > notes doesn't list any security fixes.
15 On the 20th, my system was listed as affected by this GLSA
16
17 GLSA 200507-14:
18 Mozilla Firefox: Multiple vulnerabilities
19 ============================================================================
20 Synopsis: Several vulnerabilities in Mozilla Firefox allow
21 attacks ranging from execution of script code with
22 elevated privileges to information leak.
23 Announced on: July 15, 2005
24 Last revised on: July 15, 2005: 01
25
26 Affected package: www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin
27 Affected archs: All
28 Vulnerable: <1.0.5
29 Unaffected: >=1.0.5
30
31 However, at the time I was using 1.0.5-r1 (installed on the 19th).
32
33 I didn't look at the GLSA that clearly at the time (just saw Firefox),
34 so I didn't realize that I was in fact not supposed to be affected, but
35 glsa-check mailed me that I was.
36
37 So that explains that, if it explains it at all. glsa-check is not
38 perfect, apparently; perhaps it made a mistake.
39
40 >>>
41 >>> There's no problem with using Firefox while it is being compiled.
42 >>> Only as soon as it has actually been merged, it may be wise to
43 >>> restart it.
44 >>
45 >> Not completely true. You can use an already-opened instance of
46 >> Firefox--- as long as you stay within the same window.
47 >>
48 >> Open another window for any reason, and the whole thing will close down
49 >> (because you can't open a new instance of Firefox while Firefox is
50 >> compiling). So forums or database sites that open new windows to create
51 >> posts, or display information about an item in the database are
52 >> unuseable during this time.
53 >>
54 >> Rather than control my surfing, I prefer to use another browser until
55 >> Firefox is finished compiling.
58 > Erhm.. I don't know how in the world you could be seeing this kind of
59 > behavior while compiling firefox...
60 >
61 > Anyways, you're just so wrong here, Holly (and Benno is right). Don't you
62 > understand the concept of compiling? When something is being compiled
63 > *nothing* gets installed during that time, and so it couldn't interfere
64 > with your current installation. The program gets installed only after
65 > compiling has finished.
66 >
67 > make && make install, you know... or do you?
68
69 Y'know, Tero-- bite me. Maybe I've got a (currently unknown) system
70 problem that causes this behaviour only on my system, maybe I *used* see
71 this behaviour, created a workaround, and haven't noticed that I don't
72 need it anymore, maybe I'm using a different version of Portage than you
73 which isn't quite as neat as the one you're using.
74
75 You don't have to insult me with a strong implication that I'm stupid or
76 something-- certainly over an issue that neither of us control
77 (Portage), and certainly not over behaviour that I have clearly
78 documented my experience of.
79
80 Geez.
81