From: "Tero Grundström" <tero@××××××××××××.fi>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] thunderbird/firefox conflict
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:11:02
1 On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Holly Bostick wrote:
2
3 > Benno Schulenberg schreef:
4 >> Holly Bostick wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I understand heavy development, but three
7 >>> upgrades in three days is a bit much even for me
10 >> Come on, Holly, when you're running unstable (~x86), you've got to
11 >> be ready to take frequent updates. Or, to circumvent this, you
12 >> could sync less often: once a week works fine here.
13 >
14 > In this case, syncing less often wasn't an issue-- the reason I had to
15 > upgrade to 1.0.6 was due to a GLSA.
16
17 I don't find any GLSA on firefox-1.0.6. Even the official firefox release
18 notes doesn't list any security fixes.
22 >>> (since it takes
23 >>> an hour and a half or so to compile each program, and further
24 >>> means I have to use Konq for that time if I don't want to mess up
25 >>> ff by having it loaded while it's upgrading.
28 >> There's no problem with using Firefox while it is being compiled.
29 >> Only as soon as it has actually been merged, it may be wise to
30 >> restart it.
33 > Not completely true. You can use an already-opened instance of
34 > Firefox--- as long as you stay within the same window.
35 >
36 > Open another window for any reason, and the whole thing will close down
37 > (because you can't open a new instance of Firefox while Firefox is
38 > compiling). So forums or database sites that open new windows to create
39 > posts, or display information about an item in the database are
40 > unuseable during this time.
41 >
42 > Rather than control my surfing, I prefer to use another browser until
43 > Firefox is finished compiling.
44
45 Erhm.. I don't know how in the world you could be seeing this kind of
46 behavior while compiling firefox...
47
48 Anyways, you're just so wrong here, Holly (and Benno is right). Don't you
49 understand the concept of compiling? When something is being compiled
50 *nothing* gets installed during that time, and so it couldn't interfere
51 with your current installation. The program gets installed only after
52 compiling has finished.
53
54 make && make install, you know... or do you?
57 T.G.
58 --
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list