From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] thunderbird/firefox conflict
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 13:34:38
1 Benno Schulenberg schreef:
2 > Holly Bostick wrote:
3 >
4 >>I understand heavy development, but three
5 >>upgrades in three days is a bit much even for me
8 > Come on, Holly, when you're running unstable (~x86), you've got to
9 > be ready to take frequent updates. Or, to circumvent this, you
10 > could sync less often: once a week works fine here.
11
12 In this case, syncing less often wasn't an issue-- the reason I had to
13 upgrade to 1.0.6 was due to a GLSA. Having to upgrade once due to
14 instability of the GLSA upgrade is fine, but twice is a bit annoying,
15 especially when that means *6* compiles (firefox and thunderbird each
16 three times).
17
18 And the fact that we're revising on-the-fly, as it were, would suggest
19 that there's 'no end in sight'-- at least I as a user can't see any such
20 end, since being neither a Mozilla nor a Gentoo developer, I don't know
21 if everything that needed to be fixed is finished being fixed or not, or
22 if there remain any 'loose ends' to be tied.
23
24 I understand completely that 'these things happen', and I'm not
25 complaining about that *per se*, I'd just like to know if there is in
26 fact an end in sight, and whether we've perhaps reached it (or it is at
27 least close).
31 >>(since it takes
32 >>an hour and a half or so to compile each program, and further
33 >>means I have to use Konq for that time if I don't want to mess up
34 >>ff by having it loaded while it's upgrading.
37 > There's no problem with using Firefox while it is being compiled.
38 > Only as soon as it has actually been merged, it may be wise to
39 > restart it.
42 Not completely true. You can use an already-opened instance of
43 Firefox--- as long as you stay within the same window.
44
45 Open another window for any reason, and the whole thing will close down
46 (because you can't open a new instance of Firefox while Firefox is
47 compiling). So forums or database sites that open new windows to create
48 posts, or display information about an item in the database are
49 unuseable during this time.
50
51 Rather than control my surfing, I prefer to use another browser until
52 Firefox is finished compiling.
53
54 Holly
55 >