From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Root on NFS Suspend/Resume support
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 18:37:18
1 On December 11, 2018 11:23:27 AM UTC, Tsukasa Mcp_Reznor <mcp_reznor@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 >________________________________________
3 >From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
4 >Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 10:14 PM
5 >To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Root on NFS Suspend/Resume support
7 >
8 >On 12/10/18 8:03 PM, Tsukasa Mcp_Reznor wrote:
9 >&gt; Has anyone managed to get suspend/resume to work on diskless
10 >machines
11 >&gt; using NFS as the root?
12 >
13 >~blink~
14 >
15 >I haven't tried to suspend / resume diskless machines. (I've not done
16 >much with diskless machines, but it's on my to do list.)
17 >
18 >But I don't think I would have thought about trying to suspend / resume
19 >a diskless machine.
20 >
21 >Are we talking about a wired Ethernet network connection with static
22 >IP(s)? Or something more complex?
23 >
24 >Aside: I'm wondering why a diskless machine is using suspend / resume.
25 >If you're bored, I'd like to have my (apparently limited) world view
26 >expanded.
27 >
28 >&gt; Suspend works like normal, but resume hard locks, can't seem to
29 >get any
30 >&gt; error's or anything as it's not sending to any log files
31 >naturally.
32 >
33 >Have you tried using any network based logging?
34 >
35 >Can syslog log to a network block device?
36 >
37 >Doesn't the kernel have some network logging? Or the ability to log
38 >debug info somewhere other than a file?
39 >
40 >&gt; I have 3 machines currently running this setup, just trying to
41 >save
42 >&gt; some power. If it helps they are all using Realtek NICs.
43 >
44 >Okay. I conceptually get saving power.
45 >
46 >How are you waking them up? User interaction? Clock? Magic packet?
47 >
48 >&gt; My google-fu hasn't turned up anything in the last 5 years.
49 >
50 >So, you've been working on it for a while.
51 >
52 >Are any of your problems related to stale file handles? I.e. the
53 >diskless NFS client disagreeing with the NFS server about the state of
54 >the files? Is the NFS server closing the files after a timeout?
55 >
56 >&gt; Thanks
57 >
58 >You're welcome. But I'm not sure I helped. I would like to learn what
59 >you figure out.
64 >You're totally correct, more information would be beneficial, here
65 >goes.
66 >All machines are Wired 1Gbps connections.
67 >Uefi IP4 network stack sends dhcp request, gets boot file pxelinux.efi,
68 >the default entry sends the linux kernel (no initramfs needed, firmware
69 >added to kernel image).
70 >Another good note is the kernel contains the command line built-in for
71 >using root on NFS.
72 >Machine loads, mounts the required mount points through NFS4.2 (so much
73 >better than the old NFS 3 speeds).
74 >LightDM loads and users are free to work, in this case family members
75 >playing Steam/Diablo 3/etc.
76 >I switched to using Root on NFS for alot of reasons.
77 >
78 >Maintaining 4 gentoo installs on machines of varying specs and
79 >remembering to update each with good updates added a fair amount of
80 >administration time. (4, because the server is included)
81 >
82 >Using chroots on the server as binary build hosts for each machine
83 >solves some problems, but increases space requirements quite a bit, and
84 >adds latency if you want to use it while it's emerging anything, plus
85 >compiling say Libreoffice or whatever 3+ times in a row is pretty slow.
86 >
87 >Side note, If anyone else runs diskless I have a patch for wine I can
88 >send out that returns the nfs mount as a fixed hard drive, there are a
89 >few apps/games that refuse to install/run on a network share, and a
90 >patch for steam that removes the file locking issues so updates run
91 >quick and smooth (neither will ever be upstreamable, people have tried
92 >in the past)
93 >
94 ></gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
95 >
96 >Thanks for your response, I'd love to help if you have any more
97 >questions, it's been a fun experience for me for sure. Also,
98 >cachefilesd if there's a drive available, makes everything feel like
99 >it's not a networked machine at all here.
100
101 If you want to resume from NFS, you will need an initramfs that correctly passes the swap device for resuming.
102 I would try the same method as resuming from encrypted swap.
103 --
104 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.