From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Jobs and load-average
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 14:31:32
1 On Wednesday, 15 February 2023 13:18:24 GMT Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 4:56 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
3 wrote:
4 > > Not long ago I read that we should allow 2GB RAM for every emerge job -
5 > > that is, we should divide our RAM size by 2 to get the maximum number of
6 > > simultaneous jobs. I'm trying to get that right, but I'm not there yet.
7 > >
8 > > I have these entries in make.conf:
9 > > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=16 --load-average=32 --autounmask=n --quiet-
10 > > unmerge-warn --ke>
11 > > MAKEOPTS="-j16"
12 > >
13 > > Today, though, I saw load averages going up to 72. Can anyone suggest
14 > > better values to suit my 24 threads and 64GB RAM?
15 >
16 > First, keep in mind that --jobs=16 + -j16 can result in up to 256
17 > (16*16) tasks running at once. Of course, that is worst case and most
18 > of the time you'll have way less than that.
19 >
20 > Keep in mind that you need to consider available RAM and not just
21 > total RAM. Run free under the conditions where you typically run
22 > emerge and see how much available memory it displays. Depending on
23 > what you have running it could be much lower than 64GB.
24 >
25 > Beyond that, unfortunately this is hard to deal with beyond just
26 > figuring out what needs more RAM and making exceptions in package.env.
27 >
28 > Also, RAM pressure could also come from the build directory if it is
29 > on tmpfs, which of course many of us use.
30 >
31 > Some packages that I build with either a greatly reduced -j setting or
32 > a non-tmpfs build directory are:
33 > sys-cluster/ceph
34 > dev-python/scipy
35 > dev-python/pandas
36 > app-office/calligra
37 > net-libs/nodejs
38 > dev-qt/qtwebengine
39 > dev-qt/qtwebkit
40 > dev-lang/spidermonkey
41 > www-client/chromium
42 > app-office/libreoffice
43 > sys-devel/llvm
44 > dev-lang/rust (I use the rust binary these days as this has gotten
45 > really out of hand)
46 > x11-libs/gtk+
47 >
48 > These are just packages I've had issues with at some point, and it is
49 > possible that some of these packages no longer use as much memory
50 > today.
51
52 Thank you all. I can see what I'm doing better now. (Politicians aren't the
53 only ones who can be ambiguous!)
54
55 I'll start by picking up the point I'd missed - putting MAKEOPTS in
56 package.env.
59 Regards,
60 Peter.