From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Jobs and load-average
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 13:18:40
1 On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 4:56 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > Not long ago I read that we should allow 2GB RAM for every emerge job - that
4 > is, we should divide our RAM size by 2 to get the maximum number of
5 > simultaneous jobs. I'm trying to get that right, but I'm not there yet.
6 >
7 > I have these entries in make.conf:
8 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=16 --load-average=32 --autounmask=n --quiet-
9 > unmerge-warn --ke>
10 > MAKEOPTS="-j16"
11 >
12 > Today, though, I saw load averages going up to 72. Can anyone suggest better
13 > values to suit my 24 threads and 64GB RAM?
14
15 First, keep in mind that --jobs=16 + -j16 can result in up to 256
16 (16*16) tasks running at once. Of course, that is worst case and most
17 of the time you'll have way less than that.
18
19 Keep in mind that you need to consider available RAM and not just
20 total RAM. Run free under the conditions where you typically run
21 emerge and see how much available memory it displays. Depending on
22 what you have running it could be much lower than 64GB.
23
24 Beyond that, unfortunately this is hard to deal with beyond just
25 figuring out what needs more RAM and making exceptions in package.env.
26
27 Also, RAM pressure could also come from the build directory if it is
28 on tmpfs, which of course many of us use.
29
30 Some packages that I build with either a greatly reduced -j setting or
31 a non-tmpfs build directory are:
32 sys-cluster/ceph
33 dev-python/scipy
34 dev-python/pandas
35 app-office/calligra
36 net-libs/nodejs
37 dev-qt/qtwebengine
38 dev-qt/qtwebkit
39 dev-lang/spidermonkey
40 www-client/chromium
41 app-office/libreoffice
42 sys-devel/llvm
43 dev-lang/rust (I use the rust binary these days as this has gotten
44 really out of hand)
45 x11-libs/gtk+
46
47 These are just packages I've had issues with at some point, and it is
48 possible that some of these packages no longer use as much memory
49 today.
52 Rich