From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new system, printing suddenly fails for all printers
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 00:37:00
1 On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 6:20 AM, <eamjr56@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Why all the handwringing? Just use hplip when using a HP printer and all
4 > the hair-pulling will disappear in seconds.
5 >
6 > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
9 eamjr56:
10
11 I also am amazed at the support from HP. Recalling the days some 12 years
12 ago, and so many hoops to jump through and then only to get an HP printer to
13 work partially.
14
15 What was curious about this, I had used HPLIP. Somehow, all of a sudden,
16 all printers were seen as network printers. Either I did a dumb thing of
17 collossal proportions, or some update wrote over the top of my config
18 files. What I now suspect is that I had consented to let dispatch-conf
19 replace my original config file, not understanding the consequences.
20
21 Live and learn,
22
23 Alan