From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best website backup practice
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:40:40
1 Momesso Andrea wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 01:03:46PM -0800, kashani wrote:
3 >> I like LVM snapshotting for databases, but that takes some planning and
4 >> you have to stop the database. However your mysqlbackup are actually very
5 >> unsafe because I know for certain that Mediawiki uses Innodb tables.
6 >> mysqlbackup does not guarantee a lock (I forget the actual details of the
7 >> issue) for Innodb so your backup could be crap. Chances are you'd be fine
8 >> on a database that isn't very busy, but don't get in the habit of doing it
9 >> that way.
10 >>
11 >> kashani
12 >>
13 > So there is no way if I want to keep the databases runnung?
14
15 If your database isn't terribly busy I'd setup a second Mysql instance
16 on the same machines and make it a slave of your primary. Then when it's
17 time to backup you can stop the slave and make a backup without
18 disturbing the master instance.
19
20 kashani