From: Farhan Ahmed <farhanahmed06@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pppoe-status returns the wrong infomation! might be a bug..
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 11:48:07
1 fei huang wrote:
2 > I've configued the rp-pppoe following the updated instruction in Gentoo
3 > Handbook, and my ADSL modem can be brought up at start up , [...]
4
5 You can altogether do away with rp-pppoe, if you look in
6 /etc/conf.d/net.example, you'll find the new confug syntax for bringing
7 the ADSL connection up. It's like this :
8
9 config_ppp0=( "ppp" )
10 link_ppp0="eth0"
11 plugins_ppp0=( "pppoe" )
12 username_ppp0='username'
13 password_ppp0='password'
14 pppd_ppp0=( "noauth" "updetach" "defaultroute" "usepeerdns" "holdoff 0" )
15
16 You don't need rp-pppoe package anymore to use your ADSL connection.
17
18 > however, the
19 > pppoe-status always returns message says that the PID file could not be
20 > found (which is definity wrong!). my network was working of course.. so.
21 > I found this issue was caused by the $PIDFILE which is defined in the
22 > /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf and read by pppoe-status script. but the comment right
23 > above that line says:
24 >
25 > # NB: Gentoo overrides PIDFILE when pppoe-start is run from the
26 > # networking scripts. This setting has no effect in that case.
27 >
28 > # below is the original definition
29 > #PIDFILE="/var/run/$CF_BASE-pppoe.pid"
30 >
31 > # Still wrong after I comment out the line above, so I have to change like
32 > this:
33 > PIDFILE="/var/run/rp-pppoe-eth0.pid"
34 >
35 > It works now though, I wonder if this is a small bug, i.e. the $PIDFILE has
36 > never been defined except in the pppoe.conf,
37 > and unfortunately, the only definition is not correct..
38
39 Strange!! I had never come across this issue when I was using rp-pppoe
40 for my ADSL connection.
41
42 Farhan Ahmed
43 --
44 Place : Bangalore, Karnataka, India
45 GPG Key : 8BE90E98
46 WengoPhone ID : farhanahmed
47 IRC Nick : farhanahmed / farhanahmed06 (irc.freenode.net)
48 Check Out : http://gentooisbest.blogspot.com