From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] First Portage Hick-up, Chokes on Java
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:31:07
1 boslists@×××××.com wrote:
2 > My first install of Gentoo, and I'm pleased by how far I've progressed
3 > on my own, not being a programmer or computer person, but I'm a bit
4 > wary of proceeding further without advice.
5 >
6 > I was trying to emerge some several files which had a dependency on
7 > java-sdk-docs. Below is the message from emerge. More information
8 > will follow.
9 >
10 > !!! dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1 has fetch restriction turned on.
11 > !!! This probably means that this ebuild's files must be downloaded
12 > !!! manually. See the comments in the ebuild for more information.
13 >
14 > * Please download jdk-6-doc.zip from
15 > *
16 > https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=jdk-6-doc-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer
17 >
18 > * (select English and agree to the licence) and place it in
19 > /usr/portage/distfiles named as
20 > * jdk-6-doc-r1.zip. Notice the r1. Because Sun changes the doc zip file
21 > * without changing the filename, we have to resort to renaming to keep
22 > * the md5sum verification working for existing and new downloads.
23 > *
24 > * If emerge fails because of a md5sum error it is possible that Sun
25 > * has again changed the upstream release, try downloading the file
26 > * again or a newer revision if available. Otherwise report this to
27 > * http://bugs.gentoo.org/67266 and we will make a new revision.
28 > * Fetch failed for 'dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1'
29 >
30 > * Messages for package dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1:
31 >
32 > * Fetch failed for 'dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1
33 >
34 > So, I downloaded the file, renamed it and put it where it told me to.
35 > Then I found http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds
36 > and I am trying to follow that.
37 >
38 > I added PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage /usr/portage/distfiles" to
39 > /etc/make.conf The first because the wki said to, and the second
40 > because that's where emerge's message told me to put the file I
41 > downloaded from Sun.
42 >
43 > I then added FEATURES="collision-protect ccache parallel-fetch" to
44 > /etc/male.conf for safety, even though I have no idea what it does. I
45 > then checked out features with emerge --info | grep FEATURES. It
46 > told me that /usr/local/portage did not exist.
47 >
48 > OK, so I created it. Now, that is where emerge told me to put the
49 > file, but the fact that gentoo did not even create that directory
50 > gives me pause.
51 >
52 > Bottom line: I am being told I need this dependency, and I am not
53 > sure how to proceed in creating my own Ebuild to install it.
54 >
55 > Am I even in the right ballpark here?
56 >
57 > Thanks,
58 > Bo Grimes
63 You got the file downloaded right? Put the file, with the new name, in
64 /usr/portage/distfiles then emerge it. It will see the file was
65 downloaded and placed there then emerge it like any other package.
66
67 You shouldn't need a overlay for that. At least I don't here.
68
69 Dale
70