From: "boslists@×××××.com" <boslists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] First Portage Hick-up, Chokes on Java
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:08:44
1 My first install of Gentoo, and I'm pleased by how far I've progressed on
2 my own, not being a programmer or computer person, but I'm a bit wary of
3 proceeding further without advice.
4
5 I was trying to emerge some several files which had a dependency on
6 java-sdk-docs. Below is the message from emerge. More information will
7 follow.
8
9 !!! dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1 has fetch restriction turned on.
10 !!! This probably means that this ebuild's files must be downloaded
11 !!! manually. See the comments in the ebuild for more information.
12
13 * Please download jdk-6-doc.zip from
14 *
15 https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=jdk-6-doc-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer
16 * (select English and agree to the licence) and place it in
17 /usr/portage/distfiles named as
18 * jdk-6-doc-r1.zip. Notice the r1. Because Sun changes the doc zip file
19 * without changing the filename, we have to resort to renaming to keep
20 * the md5sum verification working for existing and new downloads.
21 *
22 * If emerge fails because of a md5sum error it is possible that Sun
23 * has again changed the upstream release, try downloading the file
24 * again or a newer revision if available. Otherwise report this to
25 * http://bugs.gentoo.org/67266 and we will make a new revision.
26 * Fetch failed for 'dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1'
27
28 * Messages for package dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1:
29
30 * Fetch failed for 'dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.6.0-r1
31
32 So, I downloaded the file, renamed it and put it where it told me to.
33 Then I found http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds and
34 I am trying to follow that.
35
36 I added PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage /usr/portage/distfiles" to
37 /etc/make.conf The first because the wki said to, and the second because
38 that's where emerge's message told me to put the file I downloaded from
39 Sun.
40
41 I then added FEATURES="collision-protect ccache parallel-fetch" to
42 /etc/male.conf for safety, even though I have no idea what it does. I
43 then checked out features with emerge --info | grep FEATURES. It told me
44 that /usr/local/portage did not exist.
45
46 OK, so I created it. Now, that is where emerge told me to put the file,
47 but the fact that gentoo did not even create that directory gives me
48 pause.
49
50 Bottom line: I am being told I need this dependency, and I am not sure
51 how to proceed in creating my own Ebuild to install it.
52
53 Am I even in the right ballpark here?
54
55 Thanks,
56 Bo Grimes