From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new box: 2 small puzzles (1 solved)
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:33:18
1 Philip Webb schrieb:
2 > 071020 b.n. wrote:
3 >> Philip Webb ha scritto:
4 >>> Anyone have a suggestion why using 'cp -a' to copy a lot of subdirs
5 >>> takes additional space on the USB stick (over the HDD space used) ?
6 >>> It doesn't happen when copying a straight set of files.
7 >>> It won't affect today's installation job,
8 >>> but wb useful for the future, if there's some way of avoiding it.
9 >> I've seen similar effects on my fat32 USB sticks.
10 >> What filesystem do you use on them?
11 >
12 > Another responder mentioned block sizes. Yes, that mb the problem.
13 > I'm new to USB sticks & haven't formatted them in any way:
14 > they seem to have an existing file system on them,
15 > but mb it's Fat32, which seems likely to be inefficient.
16 > So are there any standard recommendations for formatting them ?
17 > Do I simply do 'mke2fs' (the HDDs are formatted with ReiserFS) ?
18 > How about block size ? Thanks for the replies so far.
21 Ext2 is a good choice as long as you don't want to exchange data with
22 Windows (except you can install the ext2 driver on the Windows
23 machines). Don't use journalized file systems like Ext3 and Reiserfs
24 since their journal causes additional write operations and flash media
25 only last a limited number of them. (of course, you could disable
26 reiserfs's journal but that's just additional trouble).
27
28 Blocksize for Ext2? As long as you don't transfer many very small files
29 (<=3k), stick with the default.
30
31 If you want to continue using FAT, you should create zip or tar
32 archives. That way, you can preserve file permissions and don't wast
33 space on your stick.
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list