From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new box: 2 small puzzles (1 solved)
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:59:03
1 071020 b.n. wrote:
2 > Philip Webb ha scritto:
3 >> Anyone have a suggestion why using 'cp -a' to copy a lot of subdirs
4 >> takes additional space on the USB stick (over the HDD space used) ?
5 >> It doesn't happen when copying a straight set of files.
6 >> It won't affect today's installation job,
7 >> but wb useful for the future, if there's some way of avoiding it.
8 > I've seen similar effects on my fat32 USB sticks.
9 > What filesystem do you use on them?
10
11 Another responder mentioned block sizes. Yes, that mb the problem.
12 I'm new to USB sticks & haven't formatted them in any way:
13 they seem to have an existing file system on them,
14 but mb it's Fat32, which seems likely to be inefficient.
15 So are there any standard recommendations for formatting them ?
16 Do I simply do 'mke2fs' (the HDDs are formatted with ReiserFS) ?
17 How about block size ? Thanks for the replies so far.
21 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
22 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
23 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list