From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I don't seem to have a system log. Help, please!
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 15:09:38
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 9:26 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I wonder if the original poster is using systemd?
6 >
7 > He already said he isn't. He just was looking for the wrong filename.
8 >
9 > > Also, I find journalctl very clumsy to find things about a specific
10 > > program, such as mail logs or whatever -- unless I am missing
11 > > something.
12 >
13 > Well, the journal only contains stuff sent to it. So, if apache dumps
14 > some stuff to stdout or to /dev/log or whatever then it will be in the
15 > journal. If apache dumps its logs directly to a file in
16 > /var/log/apache then the journal won't contain it. Many files in
17 > /var/log were not created by syslog-ng, and this would not show up in
18 > the journal.
19 >
20 > > I use syslog-ng, although I get a lot of messages which say
21 > > forwarding to syslog missed n messages from system journal, so maybe
22 > > its a problem, but how would you use logwatch without something like
23 > > syslog-ng?
24 >
25 > You'd need to use a systemd-aware log watcher.
26
27 Is there such a thing?
30 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
31 How do
32 you spend it?
33
34 John Covici